Thursday, June 4, 2015

Peso a Day for Toto Jande



Jande, only 5 years old, lost his mother to an illness only last December. He never got to know his father. Long after the villagers went home after our activity, Jande lingered. I was busy packing up when I heard a faint voice from behind me calling out, "Mam, we're going home now. Thank you very much." When I turned to see who was the owner of the small voice, I saw a small boy with a curious pair of eyes that looked straight into mine, and through my soul. I spent many minutes talking to him and asking him what he wanted to be when he grows up. "I want to be a teacher." I said, "What subject would you like to teach?" he replied, very clear and decisive, "An English teacher." In a place like Maatop, people do not even know the word "dream". Not a single pupil answered me what they wanted to be when they grow up. Jande was different. He stood out, armed with a dream of becoming an English teacher someday, without a father, without a mother, without anything to hold on to for his future.

Let us be the ones for him to hold on to. Jande is giving us the chance to share part of ourselves and be blessed by the experience. Peso a day. It can go very far for Toto Jande. http://notebooksforlife.blogspot.com

No comments: