Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Multiplication of Bread: My Personal Experience

I didn't have the chance to read the Gospel for today only until after lunch. I started my day getting busy about the Christmas activity that was impressed upon my heart a couple of days ago. There was no doubt I was going to do something about it, after that chance encounter with a neighbor in the jeepney. I knew her to be a hardworking labandera, but I didn't know she has 6 kids. Her husband is a trisikad driver. Showing her my sincere enthusiasm, I quipped, "Six kids! How wonderful!" and I asked her how's Christmas going to be for her and her brood. With a weak smile, she looked at me in the eye and said, "Wala pa kami pang Christmas. Basi gusto mo kami paskwahan." 

That came in straight to my heart and I let it sink in there, thanking God for the opportunity to share his love to others, even if at that particular moment I was clueless how on earth I was going to do it. I thought about the recent tragedy that struck the country, I thought about how so many in my circle have helped and exhausted their own resources to be there for the victims, I thought about how they themselves are struggling to make ends meet. But then again, I thought about the lessons I have learned in the past, volunteering here and there, that one can never be too poor or too needy to help. I started contacting friends, and friends of my friends, ripples after ripples... I keep getting surprised with the responses! 

Today's Gospel has greatly affirmed me in my conviction. 





1st Week of Advent
John of Damascus

Psalter: Week 1

Ps 23:1–3a, 3b–4, 5, 6

I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

1st Reading: Is 25:6–10a
On this mountain Yahweh Sabaoth will prepare for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, meat full of marrow, fine wine strained.
On this mountain he will destroy the pall cast over all peoples, this very shroud spread over all nations, and death will be no more. The Lord Yahweh will wipe away the tears from all cheeks and eyes; he will take away the humiliation of his people all over the world: for Yahweh has spoken.
On that day you will say: This is our God. We have waited for him to save us, let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation. For on this mountain the hand of Yahweh rests.
Moab instead will be trodden down, as straw trodden down on a dunghill.

Gospel: Mt 15:29–37
Jesus went to the shore of Lake Galilee, and then went up into the hills where he sat down. Great crowds came to him, bringing the dumb, the blind, the lame, the crippled, and many with other infirmities. The people carried them to the feet of Jesus, and he healed them. All were astonished when they saw the dumb speaking, the lame walking, the crippled healed and the blind able to see; so they glorified the God of Israel. Jesus called his disciples and said to them, “I am filled with compassion for these people; they have already followed me for three days and now have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away fasting, or they may faint on the way.” His disciples said to him, “And where shall we find enough bread in this wilderness to feed such a crowd?” Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” They answered, “Seven, and a few small fish.” So Jesus ordered the people to sit on the ground. Then he took the seven loaves and the small fish and gave thanks to God. He broke them and gave them to his disciples, who distributed them to the people.
They all ate and were satisfied, and the leftover broken pieces filled seven wicker baskets.

No comments: