Sunday, August 30, 2009

HE'S GROWING TOO FAST

He's recently turned four and keeps claiming he's already eight. He's a trying-hard adult when he talks, raising arguments that almost always amuses those around him. Most of the time they're hilarious. Like one time, I brought him with me to work. My office mate brought him to a store nearby and they passed by a group of young gentlemen playing basketball. This was how the conversation went:

Abe: "I also have basketball at home."
Gentlemen: "Really?"
Abe: "Yes, I play with my Tatay."
Gentlemen: "Oh, so you have basketball ring!"
Abe: "What ring?! Only Saturn and Jupiter have rings!"

He likes hanging out with adults. Whenever kids around the block pass by our house and invite him to play, he would call out to them and say, "You should be home sleeping!"

One night, we were with grannies, on our way to a birthday dinner for my sister. Inside the car, my mother was talking, my sister was talking, he was also talking. He suddenly blurted out in a much louder voice, "You are talking, I am also talking, that can't be possible!"

Indeed there is so much wisdom you get from a child. Many times, he's tamed my raging spirit just by holding me and telling me his sweetest I love yous. There's been a bit of a storm in my life lately and my son has reminded me of Jesus sleeping in the midst of it all. He would sit on my lap, dry the tears in my eyes with his tiny hands and would tell me, "Let me dry your tears...there..it will be okay..." and would embrace me. It's such a wonder how much strength I would muster from his slender, almost skinny arms around my neck.

Just this week, he's been sick again. Eight days of unrelenting fever. One midnight, his temperature soared to 39.6 and it scared the hell out of me. I prayed hard to God, crying out to him all my fears and worries. For the first time in my life, I bargained with my faith. I promised God to give up 'something' really important and special in my life, if only he would let the fever go away, even just for that night. It did go away in an instant. I can't help but think of how one night, I was having terrible stomach pains. We were all alone in the house, with nanny home on a day off. He got so worried that he knelt on the bed and prayed: "Jesus, please heal my Nanay. I promise I will eat more, promise I will finish my milk, poo-poo on the toilet, drink my medicines, sleep early and won't shout at night. I will be a really good boy. Just please heal Nanay" He then turned to me and said "You should be okay by now, because I prayed already. Next time be sure to poo-poo on the toilet so you won't get stomache."

One day soon, he will be a real grownup correcting me like that. I won't mind at all. While I am his mother, I want him to be my best buddy.



Sharing his birthday cake


Batman lovers


I carried him for nine months in my tummy... look how much he's grown! I always go sentimental on his birthday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne, these beautiful comments brought tears to my eyes. How I can relate. They do grow too fast. I love that photo of you with him sleeping on the couch. And yes, I get all sentimental on my big teenager's birthday too, although he is about 15 cm taller than me now... They get you through the darkest days, God's way of saying He loves you in the most transparent way possible. Thanks for the lovely posting...

Anonymous said...

ang cute nyang bata! Haaay... I cant wait to see him in the near future. He keep me wondering how he would turn out to be....doming

Unknown said...

hannahbanana! thank you for dropping by..i will just email you again tomorrow.. "God's way of saying He loves you in the most transparent way possible." i like this very much. very well said my dear friend.

dom! musta na. when ka di go haw? para ma bonding mo si gabriel. sure gid ko ma enjoy mo company niya. namian na sya daan maki barkada sa mga tigul-it.

Anonymous said...

when we were young, were were never like that..sometimes i wonder why they grow up so fast too..they sometimes makes sense than we do --- iamcat

Anonymous said...

oh so adorable eight year old boy. I cant wait and wonder what do u look like when you're already 16 years old.

mira said...

ann,its so beautiful how you n abe relate to each other..i wish i cud be like that with maeve n niall,but each mom would have their special moments...love your blog to bits!:)

burache said...

the ever "TERIBLI" nga toto abe!!! ikaw ang epitome sg badilla nga abilidad! nyahahah!! shet! manang, grabe ka gd ya mag sulat! *pisngo*