Saturday, May 9, 2009

HOW MOTHERHOOD CHANGED ME

at work with my son


Last night my son came up to me and said, "Nay, it's already Mothers Day tomorrow. I should give you a flower." and later went on and said "and you will say thank you and I would say you're welcome!" He went to bed with this funny looking paper he might just have picked up somewhere around the house and a little stick. He said we would make it into a flower. He slept with his 'project' in his hands. Right now, while I am typing away, he is seated beside me with that paper and a pair of scissors waiting patiently for me. After greeting me, he said we should get going and make the flower for me.hahaha my cute little boyfriend.

These are just one of the many things that give meaning to my daily existence as a mother. Life as a working mother hasn't been easy. But I always see to it that my relationship with my son is something that wouldn't get neglected. Thepast months have been quite horrific for me. I could have screwed up my life. I could have thrown in the towel. My son gave me strength to bounce back. His daily i love yous, hugs, and forever cuteness are more than enough to pull me through.

The other day I was taking one of these fun quizzes on FB, What is Your Feminine Philosophy. The result I got was "Womanist".

Feminist doesn't quite fit you. You believe in women's rights, but there is
more to it. You appreciate the roles women play and recognize that this varies
somewhat with cultural background and socio-economic status. Women can be strong and wise. They can be survivors. Men are not the enemy of women, but women can influence men and support and empower men for the betterment of their communities..


I always thought I was feminist. Or maybe I was. This quizz has got me pondering over how being a mother to my son has changed me. How can I keep thinking men as enemies when I have a son who proves me otherwise?

My Dear Gabriel,

You are the wind beneath my wings. Your love teaches me a lot of things: forbearance, patience, humility, ability to hope, above all, faith in God. Because of you, I don't want to give up. I don't want to make stupid decisions. You make me want to decide to be a better person, on a daily basis. There are good days and bad for the two of us, but I praise God for them. They make up such a healthy, beautiful relationship that I am so happy and proud of. I love you with all my heart.


Love,
Nanay

PS: Finish your breakfast before watching Nick Jr.


showing off the flower he and tita dit made

4 comments:

Iamquietheart said...

the more i read about your post reg lil gab, the more galalain ko that i'm away from my children.
i wanted to be the best mother too.

happy morher's day anne.

joy said...

so cuteee!!! you're so lucky with your son, anne. and it's all because of your little efforts. keep it up.
God bless your family.
(",)

joy said...

at the near future, when abbeh gets to read this especially your letter to him will surely fill his hearts with all the love that has been his all this time. yours is such a very beautiful mother & son story.
(",)

mira said...

ann,your little man is a delight because of how you as mother raised him up with.
"Loving a child is a circular business......
The more you give,the more you get.
The more you get,the more you give."
---Penelope Leach