Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Road of Lost Innocence


I have just finished reading this book, in less than a day, I could not put it down. All the horrors and nightmares of the young girls suffering sexual slavery in Cambodia, and the neighboring countries is too gruesome for me that putting the book down seemed selfish. I cannot imagine myself growing up without a name, surviving in the jungle, being lured to trust and be raped, tortured, sold in order to be raped again and tortured, spit upon and raped again. Hundreds of eternal damnation to sexual slavery. It is so hard to conceive of such a brutal reality, that this kind of evil exists, that some people are not actually people but monsters. The courage of Somaly Mam is unbelievably remarkable. I believe she couldn't have done it on her own. She lived to tell of these horrors that she and thousands and thousands of young girls around the world are experiencing.

"Being inspired" is such a lame word to describe about what this book did to me. It made me angry. I am angry. This book had made me not just cringe but shout in rage of the evil dominating this earth. I am angry and I am hoping I can also do something. I don't know. Like the author admitted in this book, "This is too big for me."  For now I am sharing this in the hope of making everyone in my circle angry too. 

No comments: