Saturday, September 7, 2013

Much ado about peacemaking


I am a peace advocate. I dare call myself that not in a make-believe kind of way that I am a warrior of some sort, but an attempt to make myself believe otherwise.  A lot of us are warriors already, forever flailing our swords in the air and yelling some chants as if they alone can win anything.  What does it take to achieve peace, anyway?

It takes some of us to want it so bad not for ourselves but for the ones we love, and even those that we don’t.  It takes some more of us to want it so bad not for any whimsical show that they’re doing their job, but for the mere pain of losing a loved one, or a comrade, in the face of violence and war.  It takes a stubborn determination of a few who have seen enough to know that war doesn’t make sense.  Not in anyway.

The most recent commitment I had as a peace advocate was to attend an election closure ceremony. It was called A CALL FOR RECONCILIATION, SOLIDARITY AND GOOD GOVERNANCE. The program was mainly for the purpose of having the elected officials and those who didn’t make it to get along and fix them on one obvious goal.  After all, all this political unrest here and around the world only means one thing: WAR.  And it will take me another article to explain that. Or do I at all need to?

There was over 800 candidates during the recent election and believe it or not, only 9 showed up.  Notice the discrepancy? Taking charge of the registration made me feel a little less than a turtle hiding in its shell. It was taking forever to wait for the VIPs to arrive and as the minutes went by I was slowly and painfully being robbed of my already pernicious hope that this country I love so much will ever achieve peace and unity, once and for all.  I have to be honest. I felt insulted. I am not too sure what my friends (our little group that helped in the activity) felt but as for me it was something offensive. I felt that these politicians owed it to us to show up and prove their sincerity.

Then again, they could have just done it, why not? Attend by all means and flash their let’s-get-this-over-with smiles to everyone. And so this made me sit back and relax, thinking it was better that way. At least we know the real score.

There is an uphill road ahead of us as far as peacemaking advocacy is concerned. There is so much to be done. Taking in part in these activities is part of my eternally confusing process of self-actualization. Taking part means trying to do something about the ugliness I see around me. Taking part means proving I do not only aim for a title for myself, but I actually believe it can be done. Taking part means sharing something in myself and making things happen.

Will our political leaders do the same?

No comments: