Sunday, August 18, 2013

Project Busy Mom


I am no parenting expert. I spent five years in AB majoring in Child Psychology but I know that is not even enough to be able to say I got something I know which you don’t.  But what I have is genuine desire to share with parents like me, the thing that I have learned as a mother. I am still learning. There are things that every day surprise me in my dealings with my own son. It is however very encouraging to see other mothers finding new reasons to smile as they get along with their children. 

I have recently just committed myself to help someone dear to me, with her parenting journey. She is a career woman and her brood has grown to three without her actually knowing that giving personal, exclusive time for each one of them is way too important than her career.  You can only imagine how she tried reasoning that her work is also as important because how else can she take care of them and provide for their needs? I listened to what she had to say while trying to analyze at the same time where are the areas that she needs to work on. 

She said her children are quite different compared to my son, I mean as far as their behaviors are concerned. “What did you do with your son to be mature and level headed as he is?”  Well, she has plenty more questions and it will take up a whole book if I try to write them down here.  Here are a few things that I suggested her to do for a start: 

1. Spend exclusive time with them. Each one of them. Each weekend, I required her to go out on a date with just one of her three children. I asked her to tell her “date”   “This day is about you. I want to spend time with you and you alone because I love you and I want to get to know you as you grow up to be your own person, I want us not just to be mother-and-child but as friends.” 

2. Each night she should read  a book or tell bed time stories. 

3. Stop using negative words. Convert them into positive, or be quiet. 

4. Be more generous in touch, hugs, holding of hands. 

5. Each night, before going to bed, ask each one of them “How was your day in school?” 

I will be sharing more about this exciting journey with her as she tries to be the mother to her children that she is called to be. I know, I too, will be learning some more in the process. 

No comments: