Thursday, May 23, 2013

Teens don’t think Facebook is cool anymore, turning to Twitter and Tumblr to avoid scrutiny from parents


Teens don’t think Facebook is cool anymore, turning to Twitter and Tumblr to avoid scrutiny from parents
For those of you without teens in your life, clueless as to how uncool Facebook has become, not to worry because a recent U.S. Pew Research Center study explains all.
You see, Facebook is not longer the king of all social media kings in the minds of adolescents. It's fallen a steep and steady decline in favour of Twitter and other social networks perceived to be devoid of trivial life details, "drama" from friends, and the watchful eyes of parents.
"The key is that there are fewer adults, fewer parents and just simply less complexity," study author Amanda Lenhart tells the Associated Press. "They still have their Facebook profiles, but they spend less time on them and move to places like Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr."

I see something else in this news. Children not wanting their parents to know about their own activities is for me quite appalling. I cannot imagine my own son not wanting me to know about his personal whereabouts. I have been a runaway myself when I was a teenager and I do not take pride in that. I am aware of the anguish I caused my parents, especially my mother. Surely there should have been something that caused me to do that and to feel the need for "space". But now that I am a mother I believe that shouldn't happen to any son or daughter. If I can manage to keep communications line open with my son, and maintain mutual respect and not demand so many things from him simply because "I am his mother and he is just my son", then I guess he won't need that "space" at all.

No comments: