Friday, December 2, 2011

Everything Japanese

A few months back I had the privilege to be invited to give a short talk to a small number of Japanese peace advocates. I was to talk about the life of my mentor, Fr Niall O'Brien. In spite of the language barrier, I was delightfully surprised that my talk came out okay. Well, by that I mean, at least I knew I was understood. I boastfully repeated the few Japanese words I know and the one that brought smiles to my Japanese friends was my futile attempt to say "Haji mi Mashite" meaning "nice to meet you". It felt almost providential to be invited to give that talk as I have been brooding, mulling, moping over the possibilities of migrating and starting a new life, being enculturated in this very interesting culture.

By the end of my talk they gave me a couple of presents which I am bringing with me wherever I go these days. I was greatly touched by the gesture as it gave me a sneak peek at the Japanese culture and tradition, the strong yet gentle characteristics of its people.


I didn't imagine I would be having a great time meeting and actually "conversing" with real Japanse. Growing up all I could remember was hearing my history teacher talking about war with the Japanese invader. My own talk has opened my mind to the reality that those stories are definitely water under the bridge and that this group I met proved that with desire for peace and everything that it consists, will prove every possibility for breaking down walls around the world.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got a really useful blog. I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to have read this one. nice!